Women Studies Centre
The Women's Studies Centre was declared open in the year 1984 and the University Grants Commission (UGC) started releasing funds from the year 1988 with a motto of teaching, research, extension and field outreach and training on women related issues and for the upliftment of women at community and to make the higher education accessible to the girl students. Further, it also aims to promote intellectuality among different sections of the population, activists, NGOs working in the field for women empowerment and train various sections of women groups so as to promote required skills and potentialities among them suitable to the global context on par with their male counterparts.
Objectives of the Women's Studies Centre
- To mainstream
the gender perspective in the curriculum of various disciplines and development
- To promote
research on socio-economic and political issues of the marginalized women and
to involve the activists and policy makers in matters of formulating the
- To advocate
women's issues and outreach programmes for women's empowerment and to provide
an access to the socio-economic safety nets.
- To develop
partnership and networking with civil society, women's organizations at the grass
root level, private sector agencies and Government machinery for bringing
visibility to women's issues.
- To liaison with
various stakeholders for policy formulation, implementation, monitoring and
evaluation for achieving a trickle down impact on gender issues.
- To conscientise
and empower students by enabling them to become catalysts in the society to
bring effective social change.
- To train the
students in the field of outreach activities and institutional management
relating to women and also to provide them with legal handles.
- To bring the higher education closer enough to embrace the burning issues of the society
- To sensitize women for playing a more committed and meaningful role in the overall development of women and children.
Dimensions of the Women's Studies Centre and Department
- Field Outreach
- Curriculum Development
- Collaboration and Networking
- Twinning and Partnership with other Departments Institutions and NGOs
- Preparation of Training Modules, Manuals and Teaching Materials
Major Activities of Women's Studies Centre:
- Programmes on Gender Sensitization
- Legal literacy Programmes
- Entrepreneurship Development Programmes
- Life skills and Personality Development Programmes
- Orientation Programmes and Training Programmes
- Rallies and Power Walk
- Discussion Forums
- Celebration of Important Days
- Awareness Programmes
- Seminars/Conferences/ Workshops /Webinars
Staff of the Women’s Studies Centre
Name of the Staff
Dr. K. Hymavathi
Dr. D. Uma Devi
Dr. K. Rani
Dr. E. Kona Prabha
Dr. T. Chaitanya
Dr. M. Indrani
Mrs. V. Preethi
Dr. M. Sucharitha
Data Entry Operator
Prof. G. Sandhya Rani
Women's Studies Centre
Ph: 0877-2284534 (O)